Jun 28, 2009

Some biblical context

How do you view the bible?

I've noticed I refer to judaism alot when I start talking about the bible and I don't know if people understand why. I'll try to explain.
Judaism's monotheistic view dominated the region where christianity began so we can skip over the uncountable other religions outside of that region and prior to. The jews and christians agree on most of the Old Testament (not really) the big difference is with the New one. Assuming Yeshua was an actual person, I figure around two thousand years ago, during a period when many jews were in desperate times and searching for their promised messiah, a guy named Jesus appeared on the scene claiming he was King of the Jews (as were other folks). Maybe he was better looking or better learned or maybe he had some powerful backers, whatever the case, he had followers and he travelled around causing a stir. He even got ballsy enough to start going into temple and throwing some old schoolers around. Eventually, he was arrested and sent before Pilate. It may have taken a hundred years or so, but his small following grew after his execution (with help from anti semetic romans) and found themselves at odds with judaism, I think you know where it goes from there. I know that this is waaaaay simplified, but I hope it's good enough to get the picture. I'm sure I'll be going into it more in the future.

No comments: